How To Unwind and Recharge This Weekend

By Nikoleta Ljuljdjuraj - 3:11 PM


When the weekend comes, it’s time to step up your self-care game. Because if you’re anything like me, you’ll soon be doing many things like; cleaning, food shopping, running around to see if everything is in order, cooking, calling everyone in the family because since I study in Dubrovnik, it's the perfect time to hear from them, scheduling things and probably stressing a little too much. 
So, this weekend, take a little time for yourself. Even if it’s just,  fifteen minutes you spend by yourself, enjoying a cup of our favorite tea or coffee mine is the (Turkish coffee) by far my favorite one and for the Balkan people too, well many of them. Now is your time to unwind and recharge before the week begins.
STEP AWAY FROM THE DIGITAL WORLD
First thing first, well this one is tough to do because we’re surrounded by technology- which means it is very important to do, once in a while. I remember during the holiday break in my house we lost power. For the first time, I was happy about it because all of my siblings weren't in their phones and finally we could spend some time together. We burned some candles and put the fireplace on, we bundled up and played Monopoly and Scrabble all night long. No phones, no TV, no computers, no tablets. We had so much fun. I know it’s a strange thing to say, but I almost felt slightly disappointed when the power finally came back on.
Even if it’s something as simple as playing basketball in the park for twenty minutes and leaving your phone at home, or going for a walk- it’s so important to take that time to disconnect. You’d be surprised at how good it can feel.
EAT SOME GOOD FOOD
No, I don’t mean visiting your favorite place to eat. I mean getting in the kitchen and cooking a delicious meal for one. Or two, or three. Grab your friends and cook together, discover new recipes and enjoy it. This winter my sister and I, we got together so that I can teach her and she can teach me as well, to cook some of my favorite recipes. It’s a great way to share some laughs and spend some quality time together.
COZY UP
I have this ritual that I do when I have a bad day, and it’s a great way to unwind during your weekends, too. If I’m feeling stressed out or had a particularly tough day at college, I throw my favorite PJs in the dryer so they’re nice and warm, burn my favorite candle, put on a few episodes of my favorite series Suits and just cuddle up on the couch for a while. I love working, I love staying busy, whether it be writing a brief or cleaning the house. I can’t stand being still when I know I could be getting something done. It’s almost as if I sometimes feel like I don’t deserve to slow down or take a midday nap on a Saturday. I did notice, though, that once you start being kind to yourself, and allow yourself to nap, or to indulge a little when you’re feeling down, it helps you get out of that funk, faster.
GUIDED MEDITATION
If you’ve never tried meditating, guided meditation is a great place to start. While doing things like having a mini movie marathon or reading a book is a great way to relax, meditation is the ultimate tool that will help you calm your nerves and gently ease into deep relaxation. You can find a ton of great guided meditations on YouTube– they work best when you listen to them through headphones. I do these often since I suffer from anxiety and it keeps me calm and it's very helpful. 

MOVE

When was the last time you put on some music and danced around the house until you were out of breath? When was the last time you went for a run or jumped on your bed like you did when you were a little kid? Just go along with it and have fun, turn yourself into a child and get the stress all out of your body. 


How are you planning to unwind this weekend?

Nikoleta Lj, xoxo.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments